Week 2! I know, you were totally fooled by this one right? I mean, it’s uncanny how much this looks like Buffalo wings and celery with blue cheese dip. Right? RIGHT???!!!! (*Amber makes crazy eyes*). Whatever, I think they’re still cute, and they are actually tasty to boot (and if for some reason you misread that as meaning that they taste like a boot, then give your head a shake because you are so so wrong. So much so that if wrong were Trump (hmmm….those already fit together), then the taste of these would be Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking….although that’s not to say that these would only be tasty to cannibals. They do not taste like people, it was only an example to illustrate a point 😉 . If you’re looking for human-flavoured desserts, you have, I’m sad to inform you, stumbled upon the completely wrong blog. Speaking of opposites…. 😉 ).
I freely admit that I’m not really being as focused as usual on the taste of my desserty concoctions for this month, but so far, everything’s actually worked out to be rather délicieux as the French would say (I’ll let you work that translation out for yourself 😉 ).
Other upside to these? The whole thing probably took me half an hour to make, so if you wake up one morning and suddenly remember that you were supposed to make an optical illusion food dessert (as opposed to a non-food dessert of course), this just might be the solution you’re looking for. I’m here for you people. I know that, just like me, these types of situations creep up on you all the time! Am I right? (ummmm….let me illustrate it for you in an obvious way that you might understand Amber. If right were …. well right, then you would be oh so wrong. And not in a “so wrong it’s right” kind of way. Just wrong. Straight up wrong. Incorrect. False. Inaccurate. Or “feil” as the Norwegians would say. That’s right Norwegians. Epic “feil” 😉 ).
A quick word of caution though, these are definitely not for the faint of heart in the sugar department. I would most definitely dissuade you from eating ten Buffalo “wings” in a row since that glaze is basically straight up sugar and if you give in to that temptation then there is an inordinately high probability that your future will involve a little wall bouncing. Don’t say you weren’t warned! (Unless you rent yourself a bouncy castle to go along with your excessive sugar consumption, ’cause then, have at it – that sounds awesome!)
I was really just wingin’ it with these, but I think they turned out alright 😉 .
Yield: 2 dozen wings (depending how large or small you decide to make them)
- Rice Krispie square batter
- vegan green candy sticks (green liquorice would’ve been great – and it does exist, but alas, I couldn’t find any, so I used some green spearmint candy and rolled it out into “celery” shapes with a rolling pin and rolling it between my hands)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice (or any liquid really)
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1-2 cups icing sugar
- Line baking tray with wax paper.
- Make your Rice Krispie batter (using vegan marshmallows of course 🙂 ). Very lightly coat your hands in oil or butter and form chicken wing-type shapes (hopefully you will be better at this than me) and place on baking sheet. Refrigerate while making “wing sauce”.
- In a small bowl stir together brown sugar and orange juice (or other liquid). Microwave for 1-2 minutes. Basically until mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- Dip “wings” in “wing sauce” and return to baking sheet.
- For the “blue cheese” dip, beat together cream cheese and coconut oil. Add icing sugar until desired consistency is reached.