Mmmm…bite sized brownies. Is there anything more portably delicious? Well…yes, quite a lot of things actually, but who has time to list all of them? Let’s stick to the topic at hand here shall we since I’m obviously talking about brownies today. Two bite brownies have got to be one of the simplest things to make too. Mini muffin pan anyone? Perfect size. Awww…look at those little bites of chocolatey goodness, they’re almost too cute to eat. Which is why I’d only eat half a pan in one sitting. I mean, if you food murder all of a full sized brownies children in one go, it might seek revenge and refuse to grace your doorstep/ oven/ kitchen for all eternity, and nobody wants that. You just have to carefully sneak the brownies out one at a time by using various visual tricks at your disposal. For example “Look over there!”:
Or, “Smoke Bomb!” (and then eat the brownie bite(s) really fast before all the smoke clears away. I also recommend wearing brownie coloured clothing to avoid any accusations in case you get crumbs on your shirt 😉 ).
I didn’t want to just do straight up brownies though, and because I was thinking about Christmas baking yet again, I was also reminiscing about those Terry’s Chocolate oranges. I find orange and chocolate to be a most excellent combination. Thus chocolate orange brownies were born. But unlike real babies, they didn’t come into this world screaming and keeping you up at night. Instead, they make the perfect houseguests, quietly sitting around waiting to be eaten by you and, you know, other people too I guess.
These pictures are horrendously atrocious I know. You can say it. This is what happens when you a) eat too many of the brownies and don’t have many of the “good looking” ones left (sorry brownies, I shouldn’t be giving you a complex about your appearance, I swear you’re all beautiful in my stomach 😉 ), and b) when you’re in too much of a hurry and with klutzy arm sweeping gestures, accidentally introduce your tabletop photobox light to the floor…from a high height…at great speed and thus only have one to work with 🙁 . Lesson learned here? Introducing strangers in this way does not a lifelong friendship make. What does it make you ask? Shattered glass, shock face and possibly some sobbing…who can say?
Yield: 16 brownie bites
- ½ cup chocolate chips + ¼ cup chocolate chips (divided)
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 2 egg replacer
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup Cointreau/ orange liqueur (or substitute orange juice)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- ½ cup pastry flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Granulated sugar for topping (optional)
- Grease a mini muffin tray and preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt ½ cup of chocolate chips and butter either in a double boiler, or microwave until melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix together the egg replacer, sugar and vanilla. Mix in the melted chocolate mixture and then the orange liqueur, orange juice and orange zest
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Gradually beat into wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in the ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. If you want them to stay fudgy, be careful not to over bake.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar if desired and allow to cool completely.